My mom and I took Weston on a trip to our old hometown of Auburn. It was a fantastic visit. I miss my friend Courtney dearly and we were able to have some much needed girl time!
The car ride is pretty long and with a toddler you need to stop pretty often. So a 3 hour ride took us 4. On our way home my mom was driving and kept peeking in her rear view mirror at Weston in the back seat humming and singing. She finally said, "What is Weston doing with his hands?" So, I look back and he's twisting his little wrists back and forth with his fingers touching each other. My mom yells, "THE ITSY BITSY SPIDER!" We start singing immediately and Weston started belly laughing and his little wrists a twisting, his sun came out and that spider started up that spout again. He looked at us and his eyes lit up as if to tell us excitedly, "You know that song too?!??!" We probably sang The Itsy Bitsy Spider at least 20 more times.
I started to think about how Weston was singing it to himself and doing the motions with no prompts, he just thought of it and started doing it. As I've never sang it to him ever before. He was thinking for himself. That was the first time I've ever realized that my child is free thinking, I just can't fathom it, it's just incredible how their minds work and we've been able to watch it develop. Up until now I've prompted him to sing or put toys away or put his clothes on, but this has all changed in the last month or so. But this time he thought of it all by himself, he had the Itsy Bitsy Spider in his mind and he was going to get it out. And I'm so glad he did!
Since then we've discovered he knows Patty Cake (and he likes the roll part), I'm a Little Tea Pot and can sing the ABC's and Old McDonald Had a Farm pretty well on his own. He can also point to his nose when asked. Yep, I've got a smarty pants on my hands. :)
2 comments:
how sweet!! he is just growing up so fast!
That is awesome! It's always nice to see kids learning.
Post a Comment