I have a hard time comprehending the learning ability of toddlers. Their brains are working overtime, I just can't get over it and am in awe of this whole stage actually. This has been my favorite stage by far (and I'm sure the next will be my favorite too, hehe). The wonder that fills West's eye can just be overwhelming sometimes, I could just sit and watch him soak up his surroundings all day. What a difference 3 months can make.
His word list is getting larger everyday with about 40 words and counting, his comprehension is also expanding. He can actually listen to direction now, I didn't know a 19 month old could do that! If I tell him we should pick up his toys then to go get a snack out of pantry, he will actually do what I ask, it's crazy! If I tell him he needs his diaper changed he will go grab a diaper and lay down. And he knows his routine like clockwork, when I take him out of the bath tub to dry off the first thing out of his mouth is "teef," he knows getting his teeth brushed is next on the list before bedtime. I've also noticed that when we read to him he is way more into it than a few months ago, he points at pictures and "talks" for a few seconds as if he's reading the page, he'll flip to his favorite image, if I'm flipping pages too fast he makes sure to let me know. He loves colors and is great at identifying them, Adam and I agree that Yellow is his favorite color at the moment. He talks non-stop, but I have to admit that he gets that honest, he is starting to string 2-3 words together to make a sentence. He loves to "talk" on his play phone, he will pretend to have a whole conversation, most of the time it's with daddy as his says "Daddy" a lot in his conversations. And I wondered when this would happen, I'm no longer "Mama" or "Ma," I'm now "Mommy," the most sweetest word my ears have ever heard. Oh, and did I mention that he can sing the Alphabet song, yep, and you can make out most of the letters, he just loves that song. He's getting better at his "Pwease" and "Tank You's." And he does a mean Monkey ("Eee Eee") and Lion ("Roaaaaaar") impression...ok his Lion impression isn't very furocious but we're working on that!
A few motor skills that West is currently mastering:
- Rolling around the family room floor...you didn't think this could be a skill did you!
- Walking backwards, it's quite hysterical when kids figure out they have a reverse, now he walks backwards a lot and thinks its hilarious.
- He did a somersault the other day! YEP, A and I looked at each other like, What that heck? Then A had to get on the ground and do them with him.
- Riding mom and dad like a horsey. You remember, we all did it when we were kids. W thinks it's so funny, he laughs so hard that he usually just falls off. Then he'll exercise his other skill of rolling around the family room floor.
- The Potty! OK, so he's not exactly "mastering" it, but he is sure fascinated with it and loves to sit on it. I do have to brag a little, about 3 weeks ago he did pee in the potty...such a big boy. I scared the living crap out of him by screaming for joy that I'm not sure if he'll ever do it again!
- Last but no least, acting like mom and dad. He is literally our shadow...time to watch our actions and our mouths.
No comments:
Post a Comment