
It's been a pretty stressful and trying day. I'm exhausted. It's been an emotional day. As a mother, our one job is to protect our babies and it's hard not feeling like I failed at my one job. I know there was nothing I could do, but that doesn't take away my guilt and sadness. We, along with the Doctor, were really hoping is was simply a pulled muscle, neither of us would have guessed there was a break.
I was debating on even posting about this. But then I thought, well, everyone is going to find out eventually because I take lots of pictures and there's no way I would make it through his Birthday without taking any. I though I might as well explain now. You can barely see the break on his X-Ray, there is an arrow pointing to the irregular spot on his Tibia.
Weston had an accident at daycare yesterday, he fell awkwardly on his poor tiny pudgy leg. It was no ones fault, he was just playing on the floor. It could have happened anywhere, it could have just as easily happened if he were home. The Doc told us that this happens, and happens more than we know, when kids are learning to walk they fall a lot and sometimes they just fall awkwardly enough to cause a fracture. The Nurse that actually set his cast was very sweet and just mentioned West probably had the chubbiest thighs she had ever wrapped. I wanted to thank everyone who has already offered support, you truly are appreciated in our lives. I will not go into too many details, the main thing is that Weston is OK and has already showed us signs of normalcy...his brightly shinning happy face.
And yes, unfortunately he will have his cast on for his 1st Birthday. It's just so sad that it happened now, he might have walked by his Birthday, but he won't now. But not to worry he is still mobile, I sat him on the floor when we got home from Children's to put my coat away, as I looked back around he was already crawling away. He is also a much happier child now, he was in so much pain before, there was lots of out of the normal crying for him. The saddest thing is how much he loves his bath and now won't get one for 4-6 weeks.
The most upsetting to both of us was having his cast set, it was just heartbreaking. I was crying, he was crying...we've both moved on and I will work hard with him to make sure he gets comfortable with it, he is pretty curious and touches it a lot and tries to get his toes.
He's already standing and crawling...maybe he will walk with it on, you never know with this kid!
8 comments:
((hugs)) Alicia told me today...I feel so bad for him! (and you, too!!) I'm glad he's feeling better and that he's still getting around!
poor little guy! hugs to him and to you; wish i could make it tomorrow!
awww, poor guy! :-( i hope he starts doing better now that he's in the cast. (((hugs)))
see you tonight!
Poor little guy!!! He looks so happy, though, it's hard to feel sorry for him :) At least he's able to be mobile--I babysat a little girl that had to have her entire lower body in a cast. :( ((HUGS)) to you both, though--I can't imagine how scary and stressful this would be!
Ut oh, he's starting young with a break! What does this mean for the future!?!
Is he going to be a football player? If so, this might happen a bit more...
I know that it probably stinks but it looks really cute on him! Love the blue!
Hope it's not too painful and annoying for both you and him! :)
Jody, I am so sorry! What a traumatic thing for you both to have to go through. But I have to tell you, that was the cutest xtay I've ever seen. Those little chubby legs are too precious!
Hugs to all of you. I hope he gets better soon. Looks like he's doing well with it.
FYI - I was a child in a cast and my parents tell me that I was determined to not let it get in the way (I had it for 6 months or so and had to learn to walk with special shoes - born with a hip injury). So trust me, Weston will be determined to not let it get in the way!!
I'm glad he is feeling better. I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to try and figure out what was wrong. Hugs to you guys!
Post a Comment