Saturday, January 10, 2009

Ummm, yeah, stairs!?!?

So the cast hasn't slowed Weston down one bit. I was so upset that my poor little baby would be heavily slowed in the motor skills department, right at a crucial time when he was learning to walk and had only taken about 2 steps unassisted before his incident.

Here we are at day 4 of having the cast and West can crawl as if it's not there, stand unassisted, climb the stairs and he actually took a couple of assisted steps today (uncoaxed). This kid is unbelievable, he's completely un-phased by his gimpy left leg.

We do go back to the Orthopedic Doc on Wednesday for a check-up. They will answer any questions we have, such as "Is it OK that he's crawling, standing, climbing stairs and walking on it?" I don't think he's supposed to be walking on it but we didn't think we were going to have to worry about that so I didn't ask before. I am also hoping they will take another X-ray to see the progress of the healing. The Doc at Children's didn't want to get our hopes up but mentioned he could have it off in 3-4 weeks rather than the usual 4-6 weeks, that was music to our ears and hopefully when we go on Wednesday they can give us a better idea of how long he will have to have it on.

Since I've gotten some questions about it I thought I would explain a baby's broken bone. You see, baby bones are still soft so they don't have a break like you or I, our breaks can be pretty clean where you see where the bone has separated. Since a baby's bones are still soft they more get an indent in their bone which is considered a break for them, it is so suttle but can cause them a lot of pain.


We have gotten a lot of questions about daycare. Again I will not go into too many details but they really have been great through this whole thing. It was an unfortunate accident that just so happened to happen at daycare, it could of happened anywhere, with anyone. I trust them completely with West or he wouldn't have been there in the first place.

In the last 4 days I have run into 3 people whose own baby or grand-baby has had a broken limb by the time they were 14 months old. Like the Doc said, it is more popular than we think and this makes me feel a little better.

We also scheduled his 12 month appointment which will be in a couple of weeks, but obviously they won't be able to weigh him accurately with his cast so I thought I would share some stats from our visit last Tuesday. West weighs a whopping 22 lbs. 8 oz., which is actually less than I thought...this was before he had his brick put on.

2 comments:

Simi said...

I'm so glad he's unstoppable!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Simi. So glad a cast isn't stopping him from moving!